The facts don't lie.
Short-term rentals cause long-term problems.
- Metro Vancouver’s hotel sector supports approximately 12,100 FTE jobs, compared to approximately 230 supported by Airbnb.
- Almost 5000 short-term rental units were added by Airbnb in Vancouver between 2015-2016; many of these units were taken out of the cities long-term rental supply.
- Short Term Rentals have decreased the supply of affordable housing in Vancouver.
- The number of Airbnb units operated by multi-unit commercial operators increased by 61% over the past two years - These are unregulated business operations and not people sharing their homes with guests.
- Unregulated commercial operators drive 38.2% of Airbnb's revenue in Vancouver, totaling almost $33 million in 2016/2017.